Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mothers and their tattoos

Tattoos are every where these days.  I believe that the stats of tattooed people to non tattooed people is 3 to 1.  Please don't quote me on that though.  I personally love tattoos and believe it is a form of self expression.  I currently have four and a few body piercings.  I am also a mother of four.  I do not believe just because I am a mother I can not have tattoos.  I am a self taught artist, I love crafts, and have dappled in tattooing has a hobby.  But I am a responsible mother as most other tattooed mothers are.  I don't have racist, graphic context, nor gruesome images on myself which could effect my children's view on self image.  We all know that child, especially young girls have a difficult time with their self image since they are being bombarded daily with TV, advertisements, and other media images of the perfect female image of tall, very thin and perfect make-up and hair.  We all know that there are few in this country that actually fit in that mold.  So why not take on a new image and role by showing our children that we are in control of our self image.  That we can pick and choose what type of art, feelings, and ideas we want to share with the world on our skin.  We can make ourselves in to our own work of art, our skin is our canvas.  Look at all the tattooed models from around the world.  They are all shapes and sizes, curvy woman, slender, models, and even amputees who decided to make their disfigurement into a work of art.  Its about who we are inside that we want to express on the outside.  This does not make us unresponsible mothers as some might think.  What does ink have to do with my parenting skills.  So I like to wear make-up, pin my hair up, and listen to loud music.  I am showing my children that they can take pride in who they are.  That we don't have to fit into a mold and to be proud of it.  My kids make good grades, I attend school functions, they participate in sports and have a strong family bond.  We are always taking random family day trips and ice cream sundaes with movie nights cuddled on the couch.  My husband is covered in tattoos as well, and we are misjudged everyday.  We are young, have four kids that belong to us alone, been together for eleven years (since 2001) and married in 2005.  I joined that Army so I could finish college, my husband was the spouse.  But he has always made good money in his own profession.  You can never judge a book by its cover.  I want to promote positive acceptance of all women, mothers, wives, and everyone else with tattoos as well as tattoo advice and topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment